Facial Reconstruction in Baltimore
Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis perform facial reconstruction for patients in Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Annapolis and the surrounding areas of Maryland.
What Is Facial Reconstruction?
Your face is a vital component of your personality and body image. You can count on the Facial Plastic Surgicenter for facial reconstruction surgery because our board-certified facial plastic surgeons Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis are committed to providing world-class care to patients who desire facial reconstruction surgery. Depending upon your needs, Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis provide a wide range of treatment options for patients with reconstructive issues that can range from less severe cosmetic or aesthetic issues to more severe facial deformities, any one of which can require simultaneous functional and aesthetic repair. Together Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis have the training and skills necessary to repair and reconstruct those facial features that are absent or deformed. Facial reconstruction procedures they perform include: scar revisions, ear lobe repair, facial fractures and lacerations, skin cancer treatment and Mohs reconstruction.
Benefits Of Facial Reconstruction
Facial reconstruction surgery reconstructs and repairs the cartilage and muscles, as well as the bone structure of the face. Facial reconstruction surgery gives multiple cosmetic and health benefits. Your face defines your personality and body image to others, as well as to yourself when you look in the mirror. When you make a change for the better to your personality and your body image, it changes how you feel about yourself, improving your self-esteem. That’s why among the many benefits from facial reconstruction surgery, which can include improvements from facial trauma and fractures, birth defects and scars or other aesthetic issues of the face, fundamentally facial reconstruction helps to restore confidence and self-esteem.
Who is a Good Candidate For Facial Reconstruction?
Many factors influence the well-proportioned symmetry of the face. Individuals who have suffered from any facial deformities, injuries or abnormalities due to genetic reasons, infectious diseases, accidents or invasive treatments like cancer-related radiotherapy, all can be good candidates for facial reconstruction. Because your face, unlike other parts of your body, is so closely identified with your personality, even issues like ear lobe reconstruction or scars revisions are prone to have tremendous self-esteem benefits thanks to Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis’s skill and expertise at facial reconstruction.
Facial reconstruction can be extremely beneficial to people suffering from any number of issues. Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis specialize in the following areas of facial reconstruction:
- Ear Lobe Repair
- Scar Revision
- Skin Cancer Treatment and Mohs Reconstruction
- Facial Lacerations and Fractures
- Microtia Repair
All of these issues can have a significant effect on your self-esteem. Facial Plastic Surgicenter’s goal is to help you overcome any of these problems so that you can feel more confident. Both Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis have significant experience and knowledge in all of these procedures and would love the chance to work with you.
How Are Facial Reconstruction Procedures Performed?
Below you will find a brief overview of the facial reconstruction procedures performed at Baltimore’s Facial Plastic Surgicenter.
- Ear Lobe Repair is a procedure that lasts 30-45 minutes with the goal of restoring the natural shape of the earlobes. Common problems include tears through the bottom of the earlobes or keloids from old piercings. This procedure is performed under local anesthesia. After about four to six weeks patients may get their ears pierced again.
- Scar Revision has the goal of reducing the appearance of a wide, raised or highly visible scar. This procedure uses the natural creases in one’s face to make the scar less noticeable. The length of the scar revision procedure varies depending on the patient’s scars.
- Skin Cancer Treatment is used by patients who have numerous unsightly moles and may be genetically predisposed for skin cancer. A skin sample (biopsy) may be taken using microscopic examination and if cancer is detected our doctors will remove it. This procedure varies depending on the size and growth. Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis simply excise and repair the cancer or use a topical anticancer treatment. However, if the skin cancer is found in a specialized area, such as the nose or corner of the eye, then Mohs reconstruction may be required. This is an extremely effective option which also reduces the chances of reoccurrence. The area from which the cancer was removed will be reconstructed by Dr. Papel or Dr. Kontis with minimal visible scarring.
- Facial Lacerations and Fractures are repaired at Facial Plastic Surgicenter. This helps recreate the original facial appearance and restore function. The technique used depends on the severity and location of the laceration or fracture.
- Microtia Repair is an area of expertise of Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis and is used for children who have severe abnormalities of the ear or a complete absence of ears. This reconstructive surgery can improve both the appearance of the ears and the hearing ability. Ear reconstruction is an extremely delicate procedure that produces significant results for children suffering from the birth deformity microtia.
How Much Does Facial Reconstruction Cost?
The cost of facial reconstruction depends on the specific reconstruction surgery needed and the severity of the patient’s needs. Coverage by insurance companies is possible but dependent on the type of insurance you have. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis to decide the best option for the results you desire. Following your initial consultation, you will meet with our patient coordinator to discuss financing options. Baltimore’s Facial Plastic Surgicenter offers patient financing.
Patients of Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis have experienced an improved quality of life after their facial reconstruction surgery. Take a look at the astounding results Baltimore and Washington, D.C. patients have experienced to help you visualize the stunning results you or your child can achieve after facial reconstructive surgery.
At Facial Plastic Surgicenter, we urge you to remember that everyone is different, and your comfort with the surgeons is just as important as the final price. Dr. Papel and Dr. Kontis have performed many successful facial reconstructions on their patients from Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Annapolis and the surrounding areas of Maryland and would love a chance to discuss procedural options with you! Contact us at our Baltimore office to schedule a consultation for your facial reconstruction and discuss all of your options.